Request a topic or
contact an Arke consultant
404-812-3123
Windows 7 blocks files from external source

Arke Systems Blog

Useful technical and business information straight from Arke.

About the author

Author Name is someone.
E-mail me Send mail

Recent comments

Archive

Authors

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in anyway.

© Copyright 2018

Windows 7 blocks files from external source

A while back I wrote to ArkeGlobal about windows 7 blocking my files.  It really should go here, so here it is with some updates.

 Original Sept 10, 2009

I downloaded an external dll source for a web application and adding the reference to my project yielded this error:

System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.”

As it turns out Windows 7 security was blocking my downloaded dlls from running as a trusted source.  Going into the file system itself, I checked the permissions on the actually dll file and a message at the bottom says:

“This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.”

There is an ‘Unblock’ button right next to it and once I clicked it, it solved my issue.

 

Updated Oct 27, 2009

Since then, I ran into a similar issue but because of the way I had to build the project, every time it ran, it re-added that security back onto those dlls, so I found this: http://www.petri.co.il/unblock-files-windows-vista.htm

Look at solution 3 and/or 4.

 Updated Mar 2011

This last encounter is for those of you that have large, and I do mean large files to copy down.  I had a particular instance where I had to download an upgrade zip file for DNN to lay over a pre-existing one.  When I downloaded and extracted all the contents of it to the client's machine, I had some blocked files.  I grumbled and unblocked it, tried again and got the same error.  Then I realized, Windows had blocked *every* file inside that zip.  I immediately started googling and every single article basically said, 'window's does not provide a way to unblock in bulk'.  So I stared at over 1700 files I had to right-click and unblock by hand with no one providing a solution.  I was about 1 hour in when I had an idea: 

"Right-click -> Properties" on the ZIP folder

It will have the same 'unblock' feature that all it's children are inheriting from.  Once I unblocked the zip, I extracted and all my files played nice again.

 


Posted by Nicole Rodriguez on Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:50 PM
Permalink | Comments (0) | Post RSSRSS comment feed